It's a just a little bit more than a week away until Winter Fest in Waterton, which is exciting! It is an annual event put on by Parks Canada with the Waterton Chamber of Commerce, including the Waterton Lakes Lodge over Family Day weekend, February 18th to 20th.
There is always an abundance of snow in the park until about mid-June, so if you're looking for outdoor adventure, you have nothing to worry about but there are also plenty of indoor activities being hosted at the Lodge, as well.
- Hot chocolate: Available before or after you hit the ski trails, daily from 11 AM to 3 PM at the Little Prairie picnic shelter on the Akamina Parkway.
- Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing: If you own a pair, bring em! Hit Cameron Lake trail, Dipper Trail or whatever tickles your fancy (depending on your level of experience.) If you don't own a pair, don't worry! Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort will rent you a pair for $15/day (tip: the earlier you get there, the better, there are a limited amount of each size of equipment available.)
- Guided cross-country ski tours: These are available daily at 10 AM and 12:30 PM with Waterton Outdoor Adventures, but they only take a maximum of 12 people at a time, so register in advance by calling 403-859-2150 on Feb. 16th and 17th.
- Tobogganing: With an abundance of snow in the park, you can find small hills at the community playground, the baseball field or go to Bertha hill. Bring your sleds, GTs, crazy carpets, flying saucers and bundle up!
- Horse-drawn carriage rides: For a uniquely scenic winter tour of the park, available daily from 11 AM to 4 PM, sign up at the front desk of the Waterton Lakes Lodge or call in advance to book at 403-859-2150.
- Indoor Pool party: Warm up in the hot-tub and splash around in the pool at the rec. centre from 1 PM to 9 PM.
- Family crafts and board games at the Waterton Lakes Lodge: Come warm up and enjoy some indoor fun from 1 PM to 9 PM.
- Parks Canada's ImagiNATION: At the Lodge, come enjoy a program of story and song about some Canadian history.
- Live Music by Andrew Scott: Saturday and Sunday night at 7 PM, come to Vimy's Lounge and Grill in the main building of the Waterton Lakes Lodge. Enjoy a great live musical act, next to the fireside. Goes perfect with a warm meal and an adult (spiked) hot chocolate.
- Stargazing with the Royal Astronomical Society: Held in the Alpine Room at the Waterton Lakes Lodge, Saturday night come stargaze. Sunday night, come for a presentation on the night sky.
- Winter Photo Contest: Following the success of the Experience Waterton photo contest, photographers, bring out your cameras and stayed tuned for details of a NEW winter photo competition, prizes to be announced!
Looking forward to seeing you there! For more information, go to www.pc.gc.ca/waterton or contact Parks Canada at 403-859-5133, or the Waterton Lakes Lodge Resort at 403-859-5120.photo taken by Francois Blouin & family at last year's Winter Fest 2011